A few of you mentioned the Olight penlights in another thread, which reminded me I still need a crew-safe multi-tool — no blade — for quick galley fixes. Has anyone had consistent luck getting the Gerber Dime Travel or Leatherman Style PS through TSA (DFW/ORD especially), and are they useful for loose latches or zip ties on a four-leg day?
I’ve had consistent luck with the Style PS at DFW and ORD by putting it in its own bin and saying “bladeless multi‑tool,” and the only time it got pulled they just checked the tiny scissors and waved me through (TSA: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/multi-tool). It’s solid for snugging a loose galley latch and twisting off the skinny catering zip ties on a four‑leg day, but the thicker ties still need the cart shears. Anyone run the Gerber Dime Travel at DFW lately — did the “package opener” draw extra scrutiny?
Quick example: my Style PS has cleared DFW all summer clipped in a clear badge pouch with a sticky note that says “no blade,” and for zip ties I twist them against the nail-file edge and they pop. ORD does pull it occasionally, so I keep this page ready: Multi-tools | Transportation Security Administration — @robin848, are your pulls happening more with the Dime Travel?
At DFW PreCheck I get fewer looks by dropping my bladeless pocket pliers in a clear pouch with a neon “NO KNIFE” tag and saying it out loud as the bin goes in; ORD H/K has been the same. For quick galley fixes, the file’s flat edge doubles as a tiny slotted driver for sticky latches and the scissors handle plastic seals; I also keep this page bookmarked in case a TSO hesitates: What Can I Bring? | Transportation Security Administration. @robin848 are your pulls happening more with the Gerber than the Leatherman?